Ah sweets. We know they are not healthy, but for many of us, we can’t live without them. For the next few weeks, your willpower will be tested. It is almost the middle of December and if you are like most people, you will be involved in lots of activities with friends, family and food.
Here are some ideas to make healthier guilt-free desserts . They are no-bake treats with 5 or less ingredients. Yes, they contain chocolate, but for the most part, they are far superior to most of the holiday goodies.
You can use any semi-sweet chocolate for the recipes. I use a vegan chocolate to avoid the bad dairy and GE sugar. My favorite is a company called “Enjoy Life”. This company uses fair trade practices, non-GMO ingredients and the chocolate is soy and dairy free.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites
These are absolutely delicious, contain just 5 ingredients and no cooking is involved.
- Slice bananas into bite-sized pieces
- Melt equal amounts of chocolate and peanut butter over very low heat
- Dip the banana pieces into the chocolate mixture and cover completely
- Drop the banana pieces onto a parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet
- Sprinkles with coconut flakes if desired (optional)
- Place in freezer for several hours. They are best stored in the freezer in a ziplock bag.
Another chocolate treat (but hey, who doesn’t love chocolate) that is a breeze to create.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup almond butter
Melt the chocolate chips and almond together over low heat. Remove from stove and mix raisins, coconut and pecans into mixture. Drop spoonfuls of mixture onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate until hardened.
Citrus and chocolate are delicious together. But then again, chocolate would make a shoe taste good. For this recipe you can use regular oranges, mandarin oranges or grapefruit pieces.
- Peel and separate the fruit into pieces, drying any extra moisture with a cloth or paper towel
- Melt 1 cup of chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over low heat
- Dip half the fruit piece into the melted chocolate
- Lay the fruit on a parchment or wax paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate until chocolate has hardened
- Store in a airtight container until ready to serve. Will last 3 or 4 days in the fridge.