How Our Ancestors Ate
Thousands of years ago, before farming was introduced, our ancestors foraged wild plants that were much more nutritious than what is currently grown today. The plants were more colorful and bitter tasting, indicating that they were healthier. For example, corn had a darker, more robust color compared to the pale yellow corn that we eat now. Then, with the introduction of pesticides, herbicides and GM foods, the nutrition in our food began dwindling at an even faster pace. GM foods are almost devoid of nutrients. For instance, non-GMO corn has 437 times more calcium and 56 times more magnesium than the GM version (85% to 90% of corn grown is now GM). There is another factor that has also contributed to less nutritious plants. Modern farming methods have overused the soil causing a depletion of vital minerals. Even organic foods contain less antioxidants and phytonutrients than food which was grown hundreds of years ago.
Vitamins Can Make a Difference
Taking vitamins and minerals, regardless of how many organic vegetables you eat, is a good idea. How many people do you know who died or contracted a disease from taking vitamins and minerals? Just like food, clothes or even cars, not all supplements are created equal. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Do not buy cheap vitamins. Inexpensive vitamins will contain GMO’s, pesticides and other toxins you do not want in your body. If you can only afford cheap ones, skip them and stick to good quality food.
Choosing the Right Vitamin Formula
Aside from buying a high quality brand, how do you know what formula of vitamins and minerals is right for you? There is no simple answer to this but here are a few guidelines to follow:
- Decide if you prefer a powder, liquid or tablet formula
- Make sure the formula covers all the basic vitamins – A, B Complex, C, D, E, and all Basic minerals
- Do not buy a formula that contains very small doses of each nutrient (i.e. 10 mg of vitamin C or 18 mg of magnesium). Small dosage formulas are not very helpful.
- If you don’t have any idea what to buy, go to your local health food store and ask for some guidance.
- Always check the “other ingredients” to make sure that there is nothing in the formula you do not want to put in your body.
People Who Take Vitamins & Minerals Feel Better
If you find the right formula for your body, you should feel a difference in your energy and stamina. If you are overweight, you will probably find that you eat less food (if that is the cause of your weight), or have less cravings for sugar and other non-desirable foods. You may even notice little aches and pains disappear. With the right formula, you may even start dancing from dawn to dusk!